Allen History

allen tx history, stone dam crew
allen tx history, train robbery, sam bass

1840s

Immigrants began to move into this area when the Peters Colony Co. sold parcels of land.

1844

The Muncy Massacre occurred between Allen and Plano.

1874

The Houston & Texas Central Railroad built through Allen and constructed the stone dam on Cottonwood Creek.

1876

The original map of the Town of Allen was filed. The town was named for Ebenezer Allen, a former attorney general of Texas and promoter of the railroad.

1878

Sam Bass and gang committed the first train robbery in Texas here in Allen.

1884

The cemetery was established by the Odd Fellows.

1908

Texas Traction Co. built an electric railway from Denison to Dallas. It came through Allen along Butler Drive until 1948. The Depot built in 1913 still stands.
allen tx history, train tracks, houston and texas central railroad
allen tx history, train tracks, houston and texas central railroad

1910

A two-story red brick school building was built at the corner of Belmont & Cedar.

1915

A devastating fire destroyed much of the downtown.

1920s

A private telephone exchange was built by Vernice Tucker.

1930

Lone Star Gas delivery started.

1950s

Southwestern Bell telephone franchise began.

1953

Allen was incorporated with a population of 400. Virgil Watson was the first mayor.

Allen Volunteer Fire Department was organized.

1960

Highway 75/Central Expressway was constructed through Allen.

1967

Three ladies started the library in a rent-free room on the second floor of the Woodmen of the World building. All work was done by volunteers.
interurban train station, allen tx

1968

The first police chief was hired. He hired two men to assist him.

1969

Allen American newspaper was started.

1975

Land was purchased for the present post office.

1979

The City Council and City Manager form of government was established.

interurban train car, allen tx

Interurban Car #365 on Butler Drive in Allen, just south of the station by Blythe-Ereckson house right & Watson house left. Photo courtesy of The Allen American.