Preserving & Promoting Allen's Heritage and Spirit...
A Brief Timeline of Allen History
Immigrants began to move into this area when the Peters Colony Co. sold parcels of land.
The Muncy Massacre occurred between Allen and Plano.
The Houston & Texas Central Railroad built through Allen and constructed the stone dam on Cottonwood Creek.
The original map of the Town of Allen was filed. The town was named for Ebenezer Allen, a former attorney general of Texas and promoter of the railroad.
Sam Bass and gang committed the first train robbery in Texas here in Allen.
The cemetery was established by the Odd Fellows.
Texas Traction Co. built an electric railway from Denison to Dallas. It came through Allen along Butler Drive until 1948. The Depot built in 1913 still stands.
A two-story red brick school building was built at the corner of Belmont & Cedar.
A devastating fire destroyed much of the downtown.
A private telephone exchange was built by Vernice Tucker.
Lone Star Gas delivery started.
Southwestern Bell telephone franchise began.
Allen was incorporated with a population of 400. Virgil Watson was the first mayor.
Allen Volunteer Fire Department was organized.
Highway 75/Central Expressway was constructed through Allen.
Three ladies started the library in a rent-free room on the second floor of the Woodmen of the World building. All work was done by volunteers.
The first police chief was hired. He hired two men to assist him.
Allen American newspaper was started.
Land was purchased for the present post office.
The City Council and City Manager form of government was established.
Driving Tour of Allen The Allen Heritage Guild, along with the City of Allen, the Allen Parks and Recreation Department and the Texas Historical Commission have developed a historical driving tour of Allen.